OSS # 139: He Likes Me




Thoughts on The Assumption of Love

If there is one thing I learned from my current boss it would be to not assume anything. Ask questions. Make everything an issue for discussion. It's better than being sorry as the cliche goes. We were talking about client requirements but I know it's a lesson that could be applied in other aspects of life, like love.

Don't assume especially if you lack enough information or experience to base your assumptions on. There are a lot of thing that has been stereotyped or misconnotated (if there is such a word). Just like hearing "I love you" (or worse "I like you") and think of it as a commitment. For all we know, it could have meant as "I love you as a friend." Experienced people knows that those three words is just an expression of a feeling. Feeling love is different from feeling commitment. Some people mistake the two as one and what a great mistake it is!

That was why when my partner told me for the first time that he loves me, I retorted "Are you sure?" And the discussion goes on...

Comments

A.Dimaano said…
Nangyari ito sa akin last week. Masakit kuya. Tanga rin kasi ako, mahilig mag-assume. I only learned what the person really feels towards me when I asked. Too late, I've already invested so much affection. Kaya masakit. X(
. said…
I love to assume things. Habit ko mag-read between the lines. The only difference is, I don't act on it, or interpret the results openly. Kumbaga, sa akin lang yung impressions. Hinahayaan ko yung tao na mag confirm ng mga assumptions ko.
the geek said…
maybe it is just me but i sometimes associate assumption with paranoia...

btw, thank you for stalking....
Niel said…
@Mr Scheez, sorry to hear that. Ndi mo pa yata naba-blog about that ah.

@Joms, kunsabagay, iba pa rin ang mag conclude. i guess okay lang yung assumptions as long as assumptions lang to at kailangan pa i-test bago mag-conclude.
Niel said…
@the geek, paranoia? ndi ko yata makonek. BTW, walang anuman! :)
katcarneo said…
For a long time medyo assuming ako at laging nauuwi yun sa wala....kaya hindi na rin lang nag-aassume!
the geek said…
kasi sometimes, when i am paranoid over something/someone, i make assumptions agad..hehehe

ewan ko ba...
Theo Martin said…
may point ka! tapos ang masakit nun kapag sinabi ng mahal mo, bakit mo tinatanung kung sure ako. e gusto mo lang maniguro para same kayo ng wavelength diba?

yun lang karelate na naman ako.
Niel said…
@katcarneo, ganun din ako dati. pero natututo tayo di ba?

@the geek, ahhh... you assume some people are out to hurt you.

@Theo martin, iba na ang sigurista di ba? naalala ko pa nga tinanong ko din yung partner ko na paano sya nakasiguro. Ayun napa isip bigla. Which is good. Gusto ko nman na pinag iisipan muna bago sabihin.
Anonymous said…
" i never..........said that i love you!"
the geek said…
no... the reverse actually...